Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Red Pepper Hummus

Christian is a HUGE hummus fan but I can take it or leave it. Usually I only like the hummus at California Pizza Kitchen. This, however, was delicious! I served it with toasted pita wedges. We ate the entire batch in one day.



Red Pepper Hummus

2 (16-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
4-5 garlic cloves
1/2 cup jarred roasted red bell peppers, drained
1/2 cup tahini
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/3 to 1/2 cup fresh lemon or lime juice

Process first 9 ingredients and 1/3 cup lime juice in a food processor or blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides; add additional lime juice, if necessary, until desired consistency.

Cover and chill until ready to serve.

Note: You can easily double this recipe. Stir the tahini thoroughly before measuring it.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so I made it... and it's great!!! I used more lime juice and more bell pepper than req and I also used butter beans instead of chickpeas cause I couldn't find them here (and I wasn't gonna go hunt for them).... I put half in the freezer so I don't become a pig and eat it all.... I cleaned everything up, and then realized I never even put the garlic in, lol.... still good. Recipe is definitely a keeper!
    Oh, and to go with it, I made, Emeril's pita chips (with his essence mix)... also great!

    ReplyDelete